Thursday, March 17, 2011

Mexican Hummus

It was afternoon and you know what that meant; nap time! For me? Usually not, but the kiddos slept for a little while, and I quickly realized the peanut butter and crackers and half a sandwich that I had at the park today, were not going to get me through to dinner tonight. So, of course I decided to experiment. The result? Mexican hummus. I had a can of great northern beans, cilantro, chili powder, minced garlic, salt, pepper and chili powder.  Thats it! Use tortilla chips for dipping and you have yourself a hearty and somewhat healthy afternoon snack! (not to mention cheap! could be a great appetizer for a party!)

Ingredients:
1 can great northern beans
1 tsp minced garlic (about two cloves)
1/2 tsp chili powder (more if you like a little heat)
salt and pepper to taste
1/2 cup packed cilantro
tortilla chips

Throw everything into the food processor and pulse until smooth.


Variations: You could also make a black bean dip, and I thought that cumin would taste really nice in there too, but I didn't have any on hand. Green chilis would also make a nice addition.

No comments:

Post a Comment