Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Orange Grapefruit Sorbet!



With summer comes the desire to consume frozen treats (although I won't bat an eyelash at a bowl of ice cream in the middle of winter). I had an abundance of citrus due to my mother in law purchasing a case of fruit at work. (Thanks Jeannie!) So, of course I can't just consume it at the rate a normal family does, I have to find some sort of culinary adventure to take it on. So, here it is. Orange Grapefruit Sorbet. My Cuisinart ice cream maker has been in storage for a while, and since I recently rescued it from its dusty demise, I have decided to put it into use more often. A couple of weeks ago, we made some simple vanilla custard and it was amazing! Next stop, frozen yogurt. But today the adventure was the sorbet. 

First, bring 2 cups water and 2 cups sugar to a boil on the stove. Boil for 3-4 minutes, stirring occasionally, then remove from heat. Cool completely. 



While your sugar water is boiling, go ahead and start juicing your citrus. you need 1 1/2 cups citrus juice. I used one grapefruit and two small oranges. You could use whatever combo you wanted. I even thought it might be fun to make a strawberry limeade sorbet.  Lemon, lime and even watermelon would all be great as well. Use all lemons and make a frozen lemonade!


After you have juiced your fruits, strain it so that you dont get any pulp or seeds.


 Ok Ladies, get your microplane ready. If you do not have one of these amazing gadgets, close your laptop and go right now to the store. Or- just go to crate and barrel.com and order you one. Zest one tablespoon worth of zest from all fruits.
 After your sugar water combo has cooled completely, add juice and zest to it. Pour into your ice cream maker.


 Now comes the hard part. Set whatever time keeping piece you prefer and wait.....

My machine calls for 25-30 minutes. After your time is up, give it a taste.

 Here is one of the fans at my house. He was pretty excited about the sorbet!


So was she!

What I did was put it in the freezer for a couple of hours just to firm it up a bit. Then it was really scoopable. See what I mean? It was delish! A great summer treat!

No comments:

Post a Comment