Monday, February 28, 2011

Homemade Nutri-grain Bars

Ok, so I wasn't planning on blogging about this, but because they were so delicious, I thought I would make a short post. My daughter LOVES her nutri-grain bars, and at about $2.50 per box of 8, I thought surely I could find a copycat version that I make myself. I love making copycat recipes and so I figured it wouldn't be hard finding one like this.  So, I found one and let me just say that it has not one shred of nutrition in it! I would recommend making this as dessert and adding a big ole scoop of vanilla ice cream on top! I made a couple of changes. I added some wheat germ to the dry mix (omit the same amount of cake mix).  I figured I might as well, since this recipe was loaded with sugar! Also, I used polaner all fruit (or similar store brand) of preserves with no sugar added. (I made blackberry instead of strawberry.) This made me feel slightly better about myself. If I had more time, I would probably just figure out how to make the yellow cake portion myself using a bit of whole wheat flour, brown sugar and honey maybe? It needs to be tweaked because even though it is oh so yummy, it is most definitely dessert and not a part of a balanced breakfast! (but hey, it has oatmeal right?)  So, if you make these, enjoy! For breakfast or for dessert.... I won't tell....




Homemade Strawberry NutriGrain Bars
1 (18.25 ounce) package yellow cake mix
2 1/2 cups quick oats
3/4 cup butter, melted
12 ounces preserves or jam
1 tablespoon water
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Grease a 13 x 9 x 2-inch pan.
In a large bowl, combine cake mix and oats. Stir in melted butter until the mixture is crumbly.
Measure half of the mixture (approx. 3 cups) into prepared pan. Press firmly into pan to cover bottom.
Combine preserves/jam and water. Spoon over crumb mixture in pan; spread evenly.
Cover jam with remaining crumb mixture. Pat firmly to make top even.
Bake for 20 minutes, or until top is very light brown.
Cool completely before cutting into bars.



(full recipe version and original blog post from Alaska mom can be found here: http://alskamom.wordpress.com/2009/04/18/homemade-strawberry-nutrigrain-bars/ )

No comments:

Post a Comment