Friday, February 25, 2011

Mommy may I have a cookie for breakfast? Why, yes you may!!



So, This morning I was anxious to try (despite a painful back injury) a recipe for healthy breakfast cookies. Every morning my daughter asks for Popsicles, fruit snacks, candy, you name whatever it is that you wouldn't let your kid eat for breakfast.  I am not sure why she asks for this. I have never given her anything that might make you think that we eat these sort of things in the morning- ever! I guess now that I made these breakfast cookies, she is going to think its ok to reach in the pantry and pull out that purple box from those little girls in uniforms- you know the ones: cookie, caramel, coconut, chocolate.... and eat those for breakfast. But I digress. These cookies are A OK to have for breakfast. I must also say that my friend Nita gave me this recipe. I have to give credit where credit is due! Thanks girl!


Breakfast Cookies:
2 cups whole grain cereal flakes (like Wheaties, Total, or Fiber One Clusters)
3/4 cup flour blend (equal parts white flour, whole wheat flour, and wheat germ)
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1 large egg
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup canola oil
2 tsps pure vanilla extract
3/4 cup lowfat ricotta cheese
Cinnamon sugar for dusting

Preheat oven to 400 degrees and line baking sheet with parchment paper.



Using a rolling pin, gently crush the cereal (in a sealed plastic bag) into coarsely crushed flakes or pulse in food processor.



In a large mixing bowl, whisk together flour blend, crushed cereal, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon.


In another bowl, whisk together egg, sugar, oil, vanilla, and ricotta cheese. Add the dry ingredients to the wet and mix just enough to moisten dry ingredients.


Drop single tablespoonfuls onto the baking sheets, leaving about an inch between cookies. Flatten cookies with the back of a fork and then sprinkle tops generously with cinnamon sugar. (I used a McCormick cinnamon sugar shaker that I had- I know I know white sugar! for shame!- hey it was convenient. I guess if you want to use brown or even raw sugar, it would be better.) 

 Bake about 18 to 20 minutes, or until nicely browned and crispy around the edges.



Ahhh and they are done. Now, the recipe says 18-20 minutes but mine were done by 15. I don't know if this was because I used a pampered chef baking stone or not, but nevertheless keep tabs on them. These cookies are rich in vitamins B and E, folic acid, potassium, calcium, protein, and fiber. I don't feel bad feeding my kids (or myself) cookies for breakfast with those nutrients!

I had to put this picture in here because sister woke up with some serious attitude and said, "I don't want breakfast cookies!" I knew she would change her mind, so I set them on the table.


I knew they would be a hit! Maybe she thought I was trying to trick her when I told her she could have cookies for breakfast. Anyway, she liked them!


Brother likes them too! He ate three!

No comments:

Post a Comment